Railway Photographs from the 1950's
After the Second World War the Canadian National Railway put a focus on phasing out steam powered engines with the newer and more efficient diesel option. Outlying centres such as Palmerston continued operating primarily steam engines until the late 1950's. With the announcement that all steam engines would be eliminated and replaced with diesel, enthusiasts quickly flocked to railway hubs like Palmerston to capture the last of the Iron Horses before they disappeared. The gallery below is a series of photographs taken by some of those enthusiasts who were able to capture the last puffs of steam.