The Palmerston Railway Station
In 1871 the station was built initially as a single floor containing the waiting room, and all of the necessary offices inside. By 1876 the station was so busy the second floor was added to move the offices off the ground floor which was expanded to accommodate the growing passenger traffic.
In 1900 with the increasing importance of the Palmerston junction the station now apart of the Grand Trunk Railway was expanded and renovated in an opulent Victorian theme. At the time the Grand Trunk was at its peak of power, it had eliminated and absorbed its primary rival The Great Western Railway. Changes made to the Palmerston station were drastic. The south end was expanded with an enlarged waiting room, a ladies waiting room and washroom; two large towers, one decorative and one as an observation point, the ceiling was raised to add in the upper level windows for natural lighting and the canopy overhang. The formerly rectangular station was given a whole new life.
Around 1910 it is believed a fire broke out in or above the ladies waiting room causing the decorative tower to be reduced in size. It also would have opened up visibility for the observation tower on the other side of the station.
From 1940 to the 1970's the station underwent numerous small renovations such as removal or the observation tower and false ceilings to save on heating costs. As well the infamous red insulbrick was added.
In the mid-1990's after years of sitting abandoned and rapidly deteriorating a dedicated group of volunteers worked diligently on fundraising and restoring the station. Today the station has been restored to the Grand Trunk colours, while the interior has been brought back to its Victorian opulence. Now housing the Palmerston Railway Heritage Museum the station stands proud as a monument to the railway past of the community.